Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We're Grandparents!


     Everytime I remember the day I said those two words to my mother two years ago I can't help but laugh. Mom's reaction was priceless. Even though she had visited us just a couple of days earlier and had clearly seen that there was no way our young daughter was pregnant, Mom just said "Is there something you forgot to tell me?" She said it in a perfectly calm voice. It took me a moment to realize that she wasn't aware that I was talking about us being grandparents to baby birds.
     Birdman and I think of our flock as family members. I know, we're weird that way. Some of our Zebra
Finches had chicks that had just hatched. Birdman discovered this while I was on the phone talking to Mom. So of course when he told me I was extremely excited. These were the first babies any of our flock had had. In my excitement I just blurted out the first words that came to my mind. These words were "We're grandparents!"

     Since then several of our other birds have made us "grandparents" also. Birdman and I have been teased quite a bit for carrying pictures of the baby birds in our wallets the way other people carry pictures of their grandchildren. We don't mind. We are quite content to only have bird grandchildren for quite awhile yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment